The last two weeks we have been exploring the magical land of the Yucatan with our friend Aaron Haack. It has been a trip of a lifetime filled with belly laughs, tequila, mescal, white sandy beaches, cenotes, snorkeling, tacos, cervesas, swimming, pyramids, and some more swimming. In order to keep this post relatively short, we will share some of our favorite spots and experiences, but first we want to take a minute and thank some lovely people. First, we want to thank April Hughes for donating to our trip. She said we should enjoy some tequila, but we had to try the local favorite so we tried some mescal. It had a smoky but smooth taste to it, but ultimately Austin and I decided we would prefer tequila over mescal. You can check out the picture of the mescal tasting here. Also, thank you Laurie Barr-Johnson for her donation. She also wanted us to splurge on some tequila, which we will, but have not done yet ♥
Over the last two weeks we visited the following places: Cancun, Valladolid, Tulum, Playa Del Carmen, Mahahual, and Puerto Morelos. Below are some of the highlights…
- Amazing beaches, food and snorkeling
- Staying in a real bed in a lovely hotel
- Doing Laundry (it’s the simple pleasures in life)
- Visiting three cenotes
- Amazing food including the local favorite Poc-Chuc
- If flagstaff were a beach town, this would be it.
- Amazing live soulful Cuban music, check out the video below!
- Beautiful beach with topless ladies
- Finally meeting up with fellow overlanders!!! This was by far one of the highlights and we are so excited to have met with The Traveling Together Journal, Hawkin and Steve, James and Bel and Christa and Johann.
- Amazing camp spot on the beach and an amazing camp host, who would bring us fresh coconut and melon water.
Puerto Morelos and Playa Del Carmen:
- Stumbled upon the Closer to the Sun tour! Too bad we missed Slightly Stoopid.
- Enjoyed a Michael Jackson show
- Marveled at yet another glorious sunset
Favorite Snorkeling: Isla Mujeres — thank you Julia for an amazing day!!!
Favorite Cenote: Cenote Zaci in Valladolid
Favorite Meal: Tacos Al Pastor at El Poblano in Cancun
Favorite Snorkeling: Isla Mujeres
Favorite Cenote: Cenote Dos Ojos near Tulum
Favorite Meal: Chamorro pork at Rino’s in Cancun
Things we wish we would have brought:
- Contact Cards (a.k.a business cards)
- USB Fan
- Stickers with our logo on them